School has a magical way of seeming at once like it will last forever (in the worst possible way) and also like it flies by (only when there is something you need to get done). Currently, I am feeling like the time is already flying by.
The semester officially started yesterday, though I’ve been back in the lab since Monday and won’t start classes until next Tuesday, and I’ve already got a full plate:
- I finished the rough draft of my thesis proposal and sent it to my professor, and hopefully will get some feedback soon. Which is terrifying, but waiting to hear how awful I did with it is even worse.
- I have to give a 45 minute seminar on February 28th. I am avoiding thinking about it too much and focusing on slowly chipping away at the necessary research / reading / powerpoint making. My topic (the Fukushima nuclear accident) is fascinating so I am not at a lack for material at all; in fact the only problem I’ve had so far is organizing the presentation so that it makes sense and all the information is in the right order. My goal for the weekend is to have a rough draft of the powerpoint ready to show my advisor by Monday and to practice it for the first time for some of my friends (who I will be bribing with food) on Thursday. I’m roping as many different groups of people as I can into listening to me so that I will be as prepared as possible when I actually have to get in front of intimidating professors and people I don’t know to present it.
- I have been moving stuff around and attempting to learn new equipment in the lab this week. The moving has been successful, but the learning…not so much. My goal is to buckle down Monday and not leave the lab until I’ve got it figured out. That was also my goal today so we’ll see how that works out.
- There is a book at the library that I visit regularly. That seems odd, you say? Why don’t you just check it out, you ask? Maybe “book” wasn’t descriptive enough. It is a four-volume set of reference books containing endless lists of stability constants. We’re best friends.
- I am pretty sure the combination of library books, google searches, literature searches, tweets, and blog posts I have generated having to do with all things nuclear has me on a government list somewhere.
In non- school related life happenings:
- I’ve been running consistently, though not as far as I want yet. I’m working on it though!
- My new year’s resolution this year (the only one!) is to be able to do the splits. I am happy to report that I am making great progress on this one. Woop.
- I am joining the choir at church and I’m super excited! My host mom and sister are both members as well…it’s totally a family thing
I hope everyone is having a fabulous January so far!